Shown in the photo, back row from left, are Cathy Reid, Jean Lyon, Pat Harmon, Barbara Rainier, Judy Lohs, Carol DeSalvo, Angie Waller, Judy Payne and Jodi Nadel. In the front row are Carol Lonero, Linda Korosec, Fabiola Hensley, Alice Gardello, Bonnie Thomas and Judit Harris.
The Penny Pines program was started in 1941 by a women’s organization in San Francisco. Seedlings could be purchased for a penny each, hence the name “Penny Pines.” At that time, the forest service paid for the cost of site preparation and planting, while donations paid for the seedlings to be planted. In 1964, it was decided that funds collected under the Penny Pines program would be used for reforestation costs other than just for purchasing seedlings. These funds are now used for site preparation and planting of the seedlings after a fire, as well as maintenance of existing trees. Seven times more forest vegetation is lost annually due to disease and insect infestation than the loss due to fires. Money was donated to sponsor the walkers and enough money was raised to fund several acres of replanting. For info about the Culver City Woman’s Club, call Barbara at 310-391-2098.